On November 12, 1922, at Butler University in Indianapolis, Indiana, seven schoolteachers formed Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., a historically black collegiate organization. Our mission is to enhance the quality of life within our communities. Public service, leadership development and the education of youth are the hallmark of the organization’s programs and activities.
In honor of these principles, the Iota Epsilon Sigma Chapter has established a book scholarship to be awarded to a female, graduating senior, entering her freshman year at a two or four-year accredited college or university. The scholarship award (various denominations) will be made available for use in the college/university bookstore, with the funds being disbursed at the beginning of the semester.
Completed applications must contain the following:
- 2022 Iota Epsilon Sigma Book Scholarship Application
- Current (Official) Transcript
- Personal Statement on “The Significance of Serving Others”
- 500 word, typed, double-spaced, 12 pt. font
- Must include first name, last name and essay title at the top of each page
- 2 Letters of Recommendation on company letterhead; one from each of the following:
- An individual from an academic institution (i.e., teacher, counselor, coach, etc.)
- A community leader (i.e., clergy, Girl Scout leader, supervisor, etc.
All application materials must be received electronically at ScholarsIES@gmail.com by Friday, April 15, 2022 for full consideration.
Recognizing the ever-rising cost of higher education, and the number of students from our communities that are in need of financial assistance, this scholarship seeks to make it a little easier for students to afford their first-year expenses. We know the need in our community is great, and so it is our hope that this scholarship will continue to grow.
Questions about the IES Book Scholarship? Please contact us at: ScholarsIES@gmail.com.